HudsonWerks LLC is a New York City-based DIY hardware & new product development shop.
The nexus of microcomputing and the Maker movement make for incredibly exciting times for invention. We explore those emerging opportunities, building products in the colliding worlds of Do-it-Yourself, Internet of Things, embedded electronics, sensors, open source tools, ubiquitous APIs, and 3D printing.
As a “tech creative” and longtime gadgeteer/tinkerer, HudsonWerks owner Charles Hamilton (Linkedin profile) has been exploring new product development, mobile device design, digital media, and user experience within large enterprises and as an entrepreneur for nearly two decades.
Working with some of the world’s leading electronics and technology brands — Microsoft, Epson, AT&T, SAP — Charles has helped research, design, build and test wearable bio-sensing prototypes, IOT applications, advanced platforms for mobile content delivery using voice recognition, ultra energy-efficient tablets for specialized industries, devices on board the International Space Station (ISS), and communication tools for the elderly population.
Current projects include the following:
- Beaglebone Black Cookbook – For Packt Publishing (UK), author of the book The Beaglebone Black Cookbook: 60 Recipes for the Beaglebone Black. Akin to the Raspberry Pi, the Beaglebone Black is a powerful and popular ARM-based microcomputing platform favored by makers and embedded device developers.
- Citizen Science book — For one of the largest, global technology publishers, a new book on DIY Citizen Science using low-cost microcomputers and technology.
- PedX – A mobile and wearable safety system for the urban pedestrian.
- GrannyCam – a super user-friendly video chat device for seniors and their grandchildren, awarded a Blue Ribbon by Make Magazine editors at Maker Faire New York, and spotlighted by Texas Instruments and Beagleboard as a new product to watch.
- Pixura – A unique, open source digital photo frame that lets you effortlessly create a private, wireless picture channel.
- Madge – For the home healthcare market, Madge is a robot that assists in therapeutic care for the elderly and those with physical disabilities.
- VitalZ – An Internet of Things (IoT) open source data and device platform for home healthcare devices measuring and tracking a set of bio-markers.
Charles writes and maintains this blog and UX Health, which explores tech trends in health and wellness.
HudsonWerks is named after Charles’ 3-year old son, Hudson, who likes putting peanut butter and jelly on his dad’s breadboard.